We are fortunate to have Dr Zigrida Chester – a practitioner with a specialist interest in the eye – working from Swanbourne Veterinary Centre. Our resident vets can handle most common eye conditions, but Dr Ziggy has the experience in this field to take on even the most complicated cases.
Eye examinations require specialised equipment, such as an ophthalmoscope (a magnifying light to look into the eye). Our veterinarians may also use a special dye called fluorescein (it glows a green/yellow colour under a UV light) to identify damage to the cornea (the clear layer at the front of the eye). Many eye conditions can be treated medically, however, specific conditions may require surgery.
Our practice is fully equipped to offer the following eye surgeries:
- Enucleation (removal) of the eye for severe glaucoma or cancer cases
- Entropion surgery to prevent ocular damage from inward pointing eye lashes/eyelids
- Ectropion surgery to correct outward facing lower eyelids
- Eyelid tumour removal
- Cherry eye surgery to correct a protruding third eyelid in dogs
- Surgery to repair corneal ulcers (ulcers on the eye surface)
To organise an appointment please call the clinic on (08) 9384 2644.