GOOD CITIZEN PROGRAM
Congratulations on your new addition to the family! Just as your children needed to be properly socialised to allow them to develop into worthwhile citizens, so does your new best friend. Those beautifully mannered dogs in the park didn’t happen just by accident! Chances are their owners invested considerable time and effort during those formative months of their early life (8-20 weeks or so) to curb their natural desires many of which do not fit with our model of the household pet.
Bad behaviour in puppies and young dogs is a myth. Doing what comes naturally to puppies includes “trying out the cat”, pulling the washing off the line and digging holes all of which are normal behaviour for the young dog.
We just need to modify this exuberance to make them fit in with our ideals (just like children).
Puppy Preschool - For puppies 8-12 weeks of age
($70 for 4-week course)
Puppy Preschool classes are held at Swanbourne Veterinary Centre every Sunday morning. Puppies must be between 8 and 12 weeks old when they start their first class, have had at least their first vaccination, and be de-wormed.
We have a 9am class and 11am class every Sunday.
This is a 4 week course. All four classes are based on socialising and learning what your pup's hehaviour means. Other things learned during each class include:
- Calming Signals
- Trust training
- Balance training
- Touch sensitivity
- Communication - Dog communication
- Good before bad - right before wrong
- Bite inhibition
- Starting the 6 commandmants:
- Leave It
- Continuation of the 6 commandments:
- Stay - an important leadership tool - means to always go back to your pup for safety reasons
- Final of the 6 commandments
- Heel and speed and direction - another important aspect of leadership with your pup
Puppy Management- For puppies 12+ weeks of age
($70 for 4-week course)
Puppy Management classes are held at Swanbourne Veterinary Centre every Sunday morning. Puppies must be at least 12 weeks old when they start their first class, be fully up to date with their vaccinations, and be de-wormed.
We have a 10am class and 12pm class every Sunday.
This is a 4 week course. An extension from Puppy Preschool, the communication first learnt is expanded on and enhanced. Many elements of dog to dog socialisation and communication are included in every class. This is where we really :
- Revision of basic communication including dog communication and our communication.
- Distance control with stay - emergency drop/stay
- Heel - for speed and direction - in area, and out & about
- Recall - with long leads - at a distance, and dog to dog recall
Dog Obedience - For puppies and dogs over 6 months of age
($125 for 6-week course)
Basic Dog Obedience, held on Saturday mornings at9:30am and Wednesday evenings at 7pm, is the natural progression from Puppy Preschool and Management. Classes are designed to:
- socialise the young dog
- Brief owners on dog behavioru, communication and obedience training techniques
- Demonstrate how to discipline your dog
These classes have been a feature at Swanbourne for over 20 years and still remain the benchmark. Running for 6 weeks, these are conducted continuously throughout the year and ensure your best friend is a joy rather than a trial!